Katie Noonan with the Australian String Quartet (ASQ)
The Glad Tomorrow
For the first time ever Australian powerhouse and 5 x ARIA Award Winner Katie Noonan will be performing with The Australian String Quartet.
Setting the words of the uniquely Australian poetry of Queenslander Oodgeroo Noonuccal to music, Katie Noonan has commissioned ten stellar Australian contemporary composers to create a song cycle based on Oodgeroo’s poetry, to be performed with the brilliant Australian String Quartet (ASQ).
Katie and the ASQ will be performing pieces written for them by Carl Vine, Elena Kats Chernin, Richard Tognetti, Iain Grandage, David Hirschfelder as well as Queensland composers Thomas Green, Robert Davidson, Connor D’Netto, William Barton and Katie herself.
‘The Glad Tomorrow’ project brings together 4 distinct worlds – Contemporary Australian and Queensland Composers, the searing poetry of Queenslander Oodgeroo Noonuccal, ASQ and Katie Noonan’s unique voice and innate musicality.
For the Oodgeroo Noonuccal project – Katie Noonan and ASQ will be performing together for the first time in Australia. Such a unique combination of creative powerhouses will result in a spectacular and spine tingling performance.
Australian String Quartet
“My hope is that this project will help a new generation discover the powerful words and the extraordinary life of Oodgeroo Noonuccal.” Katie Noonan
The licensed NORPA Bar will be open from 6pm, and also during and after the show. Drinks purchased from the bar are permitted inside the theatre.
The Secret Chef Diner will be open from 6pm, offering main meals, share plates and desserts.
Antipasto platter for two – $20
Smoked scamorza cheese, roasted tomato, smoked hummus, antipasto,olives, bread
Mains – $15
Sous Vide lamb, labna, dutch carrots, duck fat potatoes, green sauce
Baked sweet potato, labna, ratatouille, green sauce (vegetarian)
Dessert – $10
Chocolate brownie, salted caramel icecream
- The Curlew Cried ( ©Oodgeroo Noonuccal/Thomas Green)
- Then and Now (©Oodgeroo Noonuccal/Carl Vine)
- Son Of Mine (©Oodgeroo Noonuccal/Richard Tognetti)
- Song (©Oodgeroo Noonuccal/Iain Grandage)
- Balance (©Oodgeroo Noonuccal/Robert Davidson)
- String Quartet No 2 in E minor (©Connor D’Netto)
- Peter Sculthorpe String Quartet No 11 “Jabiru Dreaming” (© Peter Sculthorpe)
- Tree Grave (©Oodgeroo Noonuccal/Elena Kats-Chernin)
- United We Win (©Oodgeroo Noonuccal/William Barton)
- Dawn Wail for the Dead (©Oodgeroo Noonuccal/Connor D’Netto)
- No More Boomerang (©Oodgeroo Noonuccal/David Hirschfelder)
- A Song of Hope (©Oodgeroo Noonuccal/Katie Noonan)
*Encore – Maranoa Lullaby (©Peter Sculthorpe)
Listen to The Glad Tomorrow on Spotify.
Duration is 120 minutes (includes interval).
Senior/Concession/Groups 4+ $65
Under 25 $30
Senior/Concession/Groups 4+ $50
Under 25 $25
Buy tickets for three or more performances this Season and save 20%. Read more about Subscription Packages.
A NORPA gift voucher makes the perfect Birthday or Christmas gift. They’re available online here, or call the Box Office on 1300 066 772.
Please note there is a $4.40 transaction fee.
Read more about Buying Tickets, Concessions and Refunds.
Photo by Moffit Moffit