Seed Funding For Artists
We make theatre here. And we want you to make theatre here too!
NORPA believes in work that is connected to our place and its people, taking inspiration from the country and community around us. Whilst our home may be flood damaged, we are still here moving forward, creating and wanting to support others where we can through these challenging times.
We are excited to offer up to 3 x $10,000 grants to support independent artists from across the Northern Rivers to create, explore, research and develop performance ideas that fit into the dance/dance theatre/physical theatre/theatre genres.
We aim to provide opportunities which enable artists to create and develop work that animates place, speaks to our region and shares its stories. We are looking for projects that share NORPA’s passion for bold and ambitious works that play with form and challenge theatrical conventions.
Each grant will provide up to $10,000 in cash, with support options including:
- 1 week or more rehearsal time at a regional venue to be agreed
- Performance idea sharing/showing opportunity
- Production and/or producing advice
- 1 x creative mentoring session
We welcome applications from across the Northern Rivers region from both individual artists or ensembles, or those that demonstrate partnerships or support from other arts organisations, community organisations or venues. We encourage applications from First Nations artists or ensembles.
Projects that fit the following criteria are eligible to apply:
- The main applicant must have significant (3-5 years) professional performing/making experience.
- A participating artist in the project must live in the greater Northern Rivers Region.
- The development should contribute to the creation of a performance work in the dance/theatre/physical theatre or theatre genre.
- An end of development week sharing outcome must be held with the NORPA creative team. This event can be opened to friends/family/public by negotiation with NORPA.
- A work that has had a previous performance or presentation outcome is not eligible.
- Projects by independent producers, companies, and artists only. Annually funded companies and commercial organisations are not eligible to apply.
- Must not request more than $10,000 from NORPA as part of the application.
The following criteria list is not compulsory or exhaustive, but may be helpful to consider as part of an application:
- Creative concept and artistic rationale. What is the idea and inspiration for the project, and how / what will audiences connect to and draw from the work?
- Genre. How will the work play with form and challenge theatrical conventions?
- Connection to place. Does the project take inspiration from the country and community around the work?
- Indigenous voices. Is the project First Nations led or does it involve First Nations artists?
- Community impact. Does the project provide opportunities to engage the broader community?
- Good planning. Are the project timelines and process realistic and achievable? Is the budget submitted realistic and well-prepared?
What can the $10,000 be used for?
The funds may be used toward the cost of the project including but not limited to:
- Artist and arts worker fees and allowances (artists should be paid appropriately)
- Access costs
- Venue hire*
- Production staff costs**
- Equipment hire
- Local vehicle hire/transport costs
- Travel/accommodation costs (excluding any costs relating to international travel)
- Materials and consumables
- Administrative costs
*NORPA will pay for up to $1000 in venue hire costs, at a venue to be agreed, pending availability, any venue costs above this need to be budgeted for.
**NORPA can provide 1 day (approx. 8 hours) production staff support if required, any costs above this need to be budgeted for.
What can’t the $10,000 be used for?
- Capital purchases in excess of $1,000 (e.g. new computers, equipment)
- Any international travel costs
- A premiere performance season
Important Dates in 2022
Applications Open Wednesday 15 June 2022
Applications Close Wednesday 6 July 2022
Notification & Announce Monday 25 July 2022
Projects must be complete by this date Friday 16 December 2022
Information sessions (optional)
Wed 15 June 2022, 10am – The Cafe at SAE Byron Bay, 373 Ewingsdale Road, Byron
Thurs 16 June 2022, 10am – via Zoom
Fri 17 June 2022, 2pm – The Metropole Hotel, Lismore
Please email [email protected] to register for one of the info sessions.
How to Apply
- Download and complete the NORPA Artist Seed Funding Application Form
- Download and complete the NORPA Artist Seed Funding Budget
- A document with a short biography of all confirmed team members
- One reference letter from a past collaborator or employer
- Send your application, including the requires support material outlined on the application form, to [email protected] with the subject line ‘Artist Seed Funding Application” – Project Title, Lead Artist’
Email [email protected] for info session details. We are happy to answer any questions by phone or email.